The mandate of the UN Nairobi Staff Union, formed in 2000 is to promote and safeguard the rights, interest, and welfareof both internationally recruited and locally recruited staff members serving in the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON).For purposes of voting during elections, all staff of the three entities are considered members of the NSU. Subscribing members of the Staff Union enjoy additional benefits including the following:
- The UN-Nairobi staff union also undertakes awareness - raisingamong its membership about their obligations and responsibilities to the United Nations Organization in the fulfilment and furtherance of its mandate.
Affiliation to the UNNairobi Staff Union is open to Staff Associations and members of other United Nations Agencies,Funds and Programmesbased in Nairobi. Such affiliation is subject to the approval of the Staff Council of the Nairobi Staff Union.
- Guidance and support for members in dispute resolution, including but not limited to harassment in the workplace, abuse of authority by supervisors, termination of contracts in violation of established rules and procedures as laid down in Staff Rules and Regulations of the United Nations, Secretary General’s Bulletins (SGBs), Administrative Instructions(AIs) and other similar instruments.
- Guidance, advice and support for members wishing to file cases with the Management Evaluation Unit (MEU), the United Nations Dispute Tribunal (UNDT), and as a last resort the United Nations Appeals Tribunal(UNAT).
- Guidance and advice to members wishing to avail themselves of services offered by the Office of Staff Legal Assistance (OSLA) and the Office of the Ombudsman.
- Financial support by the staff union in the unfortunate event of losing a spouse or child.
- Benevolent loan facility to help members meet financial needs in emergency situations.
- Moral support to bereaved members by way of facilitating transport for colleagues to attend burials.
- Support to members representing the Nairobi Duty Station at the annual United Nations Inter-Agency Games(UNIAG).